• Free and Reduced


    If you think you may be eligible for free/reduced meals, please fill out a free/reduced lunch application below and turn it in to your school office or to the business office.  The form may also be picked up at any school office and turned in any time during the year, preferably before the start of the school year.


    Please note:  If you think you may be eligible, yet choose not to have your child eat school meals, completing and returning the form is important.  Some state funding is based on the percentage of students who qualify for free or reduced price meals.  Please fill out the form if you think you may qualify; it could mean additional funds for programs that benefit our students.  We are very careful to keep this information confidential.



    Applications can also be filled out on the Parent Portal and Applications tab.



    To apply for free or reduced-price school meals complete the Application for Educational Benefits.  This also helps our school qualify for additional education funds and discounts.  Return the completed Application for Educational Benefits to the school office


    1. Who can get free or reduced price meals? Children in households participating in Food Stamps, Minnesota Family Investment Plan (MFIP), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free or reduced-price meals if your household income is within the income shown for your household size on the chart on the next page. An Application for Educational Benefits cannot be approved if any required information is missing.
    2. I get WIC. Can my children get free meals? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an Application for Educational Benefits.
    3. Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free or reduced price meals? Do not fill out an application for children who have already received approval for free or reduced price meals for this school year. Call the school if you have questions.
    4. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, we may ask you to send written proof.
    5. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your income goes down, household size goes up, or if you start getting Food Stamps, MFIP, or FDPIR benefits.
    6. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing.
    7. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your children do not have to be U.S. citizens for your children to qualify for free or reduced price meals.
    8. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include yourself and all other people living in the household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). Include a household member who is temporarily away such as a college student.
    9. What if my income is not always the same?  List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes. 
    10. How will the information I provide be kept? Information you provide about your household income or public assistance will be protected as private data. Your child’s approval for free or reduced-price meals is also private data. The back page of the Application for Educational Benefits has details about data privacy.

    If you have other questions or need help, call 507-726-2323.  We will notify you when your application is approved or denied.




    Lori Huls

    Food Service Manager





    In the operation of the USDA Child Nutrition programs, no child will be discriminated against because of race, color, national origin, age, sex, or disability.  If you believe you have been discriminated against, write immediately to - USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Ave. SW, WASHINGTON, D.C.  20250